Monday, June 18, 2007

Stupid Summer Project: The Foundation, the Soul Mate

Last summer, I read three biographies of Martin Luther to explore Luther himself, his time, Protestantism, and the nature of biography.

Apparently, I've dumbed this blog down a bit. This summer's stupid project: rewatch every episode of Seinfeld through season 8 (when DVDs are available), though not necessarily in order, and blog the experience. I'm providing amusing lines without context or comment (for now), and I'll also provide a brief comment on the episode. It's about time I more thoroughly comment on the show which has has such an obsessive influence on me. I hope to eventually provide a top-10 list of George's best cheapness moments.

The Foundation
George: "It was a hell of a thing when Spock died"

Jerry: "Before we go any further, I'd just like to point out how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise."

Comment: this is the first episode after Larry David left the show. The tone changed without him, and the last two seasons are not as good as the seasons he was there. There's a certain inanity gone, and a certain conventional nature added. It's still a good show, but you can tell something is lost. As we will see, after Larry David left, George Costanza became less neurotic and more angry.

The Soul Mate
Jerry: "So Elaine was telling me about this piece of whitefish she had the other day..."

George: "Elaine, I once told a woman I coined the phrase, 'Pardon my French.'"

Comment: the show continues to find its way without Larry David. It struggles at first, I feel, but after a few episodes of flailing about, it does find a new and still very good rhythm eventually. This is a treading water episode.

2 comments:

  1. Cheese, George! Cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then right after the all-star break we swept the orioles, in Baltimore!

    ReplyDelete