Sunday, June 01, 2008

Treasures of the Twilight Zone

"Where is Everybody?"
An artistic episode, with motifs like imprisonment (a landscape scan from behind a chain fence, getting stuck in a phone booth, and finally visiting a jail cell) and mirrors. Good episodes of The Twilight Zone have spectacular, memorable endings; mediocre episodes have disappointing endings. Though this episode is the latter, I suppose for folks in 1959 watching the show for the first time, this was wild stuff.

"An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge"
Excellent. Few words, obvious feeling.

"The Encounter"
An extremely tense episode. Themes such as the racism of war, the trauma and guilt of war, atrocities of war, and the way the horror of war doesn't just stop at the end of it.

2 comments:

  1. I was absolutely unprepared for the ending of An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. And because I wasn't I have never forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The short story ... I mean ... .

    ReplyDelete