Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Pacing Myself

In the past, when I got a new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm, I devoured it quickly, watching episode after episode. Watching new episodes within a few days sucks you up entirely into Larry David's world, and it's very funny, but you're immersed, and that world becomes normalized. Later, when I re-watch episodes, I'm of course already familiar with the situations and actions.

With season six, I'm watching one episode per day. In this way, I'm not just sucked into the world of Larry David, taking for granted his obnoxiousness and deviousness. Watching one episode, I'm much more aware of the eccentricity of Larry David's behavior and personality. Instead of getting immersed, each episode seems to burst out into my world, surprising me, and still leaving me soaking wet (I think I've carried this metaphor a bit far).

Larry David (the character) is still my favorite of television's anti-heroes.

I'm really having fun: in particular, the second episode ("The Anonymous Donor") and third episode ("The Ida Funkhouser Roadside Memorial") had my wife and I rolling with laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment