Saturday, August 02, 2008

Stupid Summer Project: The Maid

George: Once she pinched my ass, but I don't know what that was.

Kramer: I'm on the corner of 1st and 1st. How can the same street intersect itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Comment: This is really a dark episode. The maid plot line parallels the exploitative nature of prostitution, and Elaine is on the phone with a boy that doesn't know his grandma is dead ("Do you hate me because of my lazy eye?"), Elaine speculates whether she could get away with killing the phone guy, Jerry asks George if he's giving the suicide talk or the nickname talk, Elaine complains about how horrible it must be to havea real family. It just goes on--you can start to forget that you're watching a really cynical sitcom.

There are some great facial expressions and line deliveries in this episode, and I really love Kruger. What would happen if Mr. Kruger, David Brent, and Michael Scott all got together? Thse are the sort of questions that keep me up at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment